By Alexandra Dahl Emery, MA, health promotions analyst
By now, you’re probably all settled into your dorm room and have had at least an initial conversation with your roommate.
Things may be great now, but without proper communication and understanding of one another, conflict may arise down the road. To avoid this and ensure you both have the best dorm life experience possible, we recommend you ask your roommate these 21 questions this week:
- Are you more extroverted, introverted or both?
- Are you a morning person or night owl?
- What time do you usually wake up?
- What time do you usually go to bed?
- What is your favorite tv show, movie, type of music?
- Do you have any allergies or other medical issues I should be aware of?
- Are you more clean or more messy?
- Should we share food items, clothes, cleaning supplies, etc.?
- What are the rules around borrowing your things?
- Do you have a significant other?
- Do you plan on having guests spend the night?
- Are there certain hours we should and should not have visitors?
- When and how do you like to study?
- Do you typically like being in quiet or more busy spaces?
- Do you have a job?
- How will I know that you’ve had a bad day?
- How should we tell one another about any problems we may be having?
- When should the door be locked (day, night, bathroom breaks, going to class, etc)
- Who should I contact for you in case of an emergency? (exchange contact info)
- Would you like to study/eat/hang out together?
- Are you planning to go home a lot?
Follow our blog for more health and well-being advice. Learn more about the University Health Center at health.unl.edu.